Build & maintain your own Virtual Private Server
vpsBible's easy-read copy-paste tutorials & videos
are designed for mere mortals - not just for geeks!
Don't know Linux? Don't know what a terminal is?
You don't need to.
All you need to know .. is how to read!
Shared hosting is unreliable. Managed is pricey.
An Unmanaged VPS is a superb alternative.
Being bespoke, it's often the best quality option
but can be tricky to set up & manage.
vpsBible simplifies the process
.. and saves you time.
Producing quality content takes precious time.
Supporting you takes even longer.
For $15 (€11) you get a year's run of the community.
.. with clear, regularly updated tutorials & videos
.. to guide you in building and maintaining your VPS.
Need something specific? Make a request ..
We aim to please :P
- Ben: thanks to your blog I’ve sucessfully part moved my sites from an unreliable shared host, to a very good VPS provider.
- Omid: thanks for the excellent tutorials.
- Alaettin: really good tutorial serie. Actually, this is the best I’ve ever seen. you are the super-hero of all noob sysadmins!
- kevinayP: Hi Guv, Thanks again for an awesome tutorial to set things up!
- kevinayP: Hi Guv, thank you so much for the extensive tutorial, really appreciated everything you did.
- Moses: Thanks for these great guides Guvnr, loving it so far.
- arif: Hi Olly: you have lived up to your title the GOVNR u r! fab, great, fantastic tuts
- Job: Very clear instructions and professional delivery! Thanks so much.
- Callie: Thanks for all the helpful info!! Thanks! Callie
- dan: great article. cleared my head about the vps server. i am using one for drupal and non drupal sites.
- eran: Hi Many thanks for the site Eran
- George: Hi Guv, Your guides have been a god send. Thank you.
- agus: Thanks Guv… your a good man!
- Jerry: Thanks for this great tutorial. This is the best step by step I’ve seen for any vps setup on any distribution I have seen. Keep up the great work!
- Giwrgos: Very nice tut-guide-walkthrough-bible awesomely done for linux newbies like me! Also been looking for a vps host, and i like your work in review of linode. Thank you again. Greetings from Greece.
- JIm Davis: Thank you for effort … very good job Jim
- Ricardo Lopez: Hola Guv, GREAT!!! post man in fact I use my VPS (Linode) to SSH Tunnel from my work to the WORLD!!! Saludos desde Mexico, Riky
- Nuha: VERY THANKS FOR THIS INFORMATION
- Jean: Hi Guv, i’ve been following your tutorials with much thanks. Thank you so much!
- Dave: Hey Guvnr, Just wanted to say Thank You for this whole Bible and the Follow-Up! It has helped me loads with the initial set up, and I’ve come back for the info on adding additional domains. Thanks Again, Dave
- adergaard: Hey Guv, excellent help you are giving here. I’m on a Linode360 plan just like you. Thanks again for excellent tutorials.
- Mike: Ollie my boy you are a godsend!! I just discovered your tutorial videos on Google video learning to set up firewalls for a web server (for some sites I am developing in Wordpress child themes) from the Command Line Interface in Ubuntu and just came across your site. Wow!! Extensive, detailed, straight-forward and EXTREMELY EXTREMELY Helpful. Your blog truly is the essence of Web 2.0.. Keep it coming mate I am addicted to your knowledge database that you provide on your site and will spread the word.. keep it coming.. A new fan..
- Ricardo Lopez: Hola Guv, splendid my friend I’m glad someone on the community like me had pleased with your tutorials and tips, gave you this superb top-of-the-market server for testing purposes and other stuff… I’m really happy, keep up your great work and you’ll see how fast your going to improve everything you do for US. P.S. I hope I’ve made myself clear. I’m improving my english Saludos desde Mexico, Riky!
- Robert: this is a great learning experience. I’m enjoying the ride.
- Michael.Terence: This was too much Olly. Thank you.
- Hyperdude: Hi, just wanted to say thanks for the previous VPS Setup guide. I have now completed that one and ready to rock! You are the Guvnr!
- Ricardo Lopez: Hola Guv, [update] just bought a 360 from Linode a few hours a go and well very happy, finished up the ubuntu install and all going smoothly. Now the migration process of soporteregio.com from my old hosting service to this new one. And also I just bookmarked your site its awesome, I do almost the same thing you do (on my site) but in spanish. Thankyou for your dedication and well structured tutorials “ur da man” Hasta luego, from Mexico. Riky
- Brett J: Hi Guvnr, first off, your guide is great! It covers so many area’s, and really appreciate the depth you go in solving usual bits that can go wrong.
- Paul Maneesilasan: great work Guv!
- Agus: Thank you Mr. Governor…
- Mart: Hi Guv, I like your series.
- Mattew: I did it!
- Mattew: Hi Guvnr, thank you for this usful article. Everythig works
- Zereshk: Dude, your tutorials are like a breeze of fresh air, especially after wasting hours and hours with those geeky ones. Thank you sudo much! All in all, you saved days of my life. Thanks again.
- Ben: Worked perfectly, thanks – liked the bit about creating a new session incase you make a mistake! – bonza.
- Ben: Wow, so glad I found this site! VERY well put togther, followed this step by step and now have secure login via pagent. Was following another tutorial on ssh keys on another site, and nowhere near as easy as this. Onto the next step….keep you the good work, its aprpeciated.
- George Smith: Hi, thanks so much for putting this guide together.
- Yendis: thanks for this Bible Guv. I’m learning loads.
- Don: Really useful guide, thanks :-]
- Agus: Thanks Guv! Gbu… Agus
- agus: Hi Guv, worked flawlessly… .. guaranteed to work like a charm. Thanks!
- eyecool: Thanks for the great guides.
- Bill Bartmann: This site rocks!
- agus: Hello Guvs, Thank you, and you are a God sent …
- juanco: in the guvs words .. much appreciated en serio, total util
- KarthikS: Awesome posting. Sorted me out.
- Patrick: The Guv Yessss it works after I try it again and again
- felipe: Thanks a lot !!!! I really apreciate your effort and time helping us.
- felipe: Hi guv, Thanks a lot for your tutorials.
- Ashesh: Hi Guv, It worked. Thanks
- Blofo: Hey guv, Keep up the good work!
- Ashesh: Guv, thanks again for such exhaustive tutorial.
- Ashesh: Hi Guvnr, What a wonderful person you are. Thanks a lot of such a useful guide. Thanks again for this bible.
- angel gomez: Thanks guv.
- Patrick: Thanks i am very happy with your site.
- angel gomez: Thanks guv I really appreciate your time writing these tutorials and answering our questions.
- Breaker: Guvnr, a million thanks for this guide… very useful.
- angel gomez: Hello guv! Thanks for your time doind these tutorials. Thanks a lot again!!!
- Henry: Love your tutorials though, super props Guv!
- henry: Really really great blog you’ve got here Guvnor! Keep up the great work! You’ve made a Linux newb very happy here
- trav 19: Thanks very much!
- patrick: Hello The_Guv great tutorial thanks for sharing the information and knowledge.
- Elena: thanks very helpful
- Tarak: oh wonderous guru – – ego boosting aside – these are brilliant tutorials – thanks
- trav 19: hello, mister guv! i’m really the noob of all noobs. thank you! and you have a nice accent btw. thanks, travis
- mary-aloe: Thanks
- Matt: This is great – just what I needed jumping from reseller to vps account
- Ryan in Austin: Excellent tutorials! Thanks for the great information!
- justGeorge: great stuff Guv, these tuts have helped me out through a lot I never touched before. Your thorough research and blog posts are greatly appreciated. thanks, George
- MichaellaS: tks for the effort you put in here I appreciate it!
- gordon yeong: This is a great write up guv!
- braindumps: Nice blog! Keep blogging. Thanks for sharing this article!
- gordon yeong: hi there, guv! this is a good write up especially on nginx. The parts that explain stuff like permalinks are good!
- custard: Great stuff. thanks guv.
- Samuel: great tutorials
- Dale Lukas Peterson: Guv, your tutorials are awesome
- Jeff: the most thorough tutorial I’ve come across, for setting up a linode with Nginx.
- Mottster: Great series, this will enable me to be free from having to used a managed service. Instead of paying $13 for a managed VPS, for a couple of extra dollars I will be able to have so much. Thank you for this great information!!!
- oligolli: Thanks for all these tutorials, really helped this newbie.
- Matt: Great series! Thanks for a great tutorial!
- crazeworthy: This is a great write up guv!
- mnyman: This has been really amazing, so thanks a bunch. Thanks again for all your work on this.
- Chris Foster: This is an awesome resource Cheers, Chris
- eric: hi nice vps bible
- Fartzilla: You know, over the years I have tried many different tutorials for many things and have always spent countless hours trying to work out why something didn’t work out only to find that it was because the author missed a “.” here, or a “/” there, or some other minor mistake which meant that I did not get the same result as the author. I am incredibly happy that I followed along your tutorials to date and there hasn’t been a single error, everything has happened just the way you explained. Thanks heaps, you are doing a great job!
- kajdo: nice one again
- alexandre.fr: hola! thx, your great guide you should grow very fast as vps are cheaper n cheaper (4.7$ for me), do not let other get advance… you are to googleling ur blog a maximum. now i have no exuse not to sleep but try your guide i wanna try Nginx because i have 64Mb-vps. A bientot,
- kajdo: good work mate – exactly what i was searching for! thx a lot
- Dave: Wow.. excellent stuff. You are a God send for newbies like me. Cheers!
- mike: Hi, nice post. I was looking everywhere for this info, and you present it so clearly, so thanks for posting. Will definitely be referring back to this vps series. Keep up great writing
- Tarak: You are a God send – that all I can say – too busy learning from you to take a breath – thanks
FEATURED HOW-TO: Set Up The Ultimate VPS
"Blank box to top-notch web server"
- 20 part copy/paste tutorial with video
- written for VPS beginners and Linux newbies
- a modular webmaster reference
- perfect for multiple sites, blogs & more
- Fast. Secure. Future-proofed. Cheap-as-chips!
Ubuntu, Nginx (faster that Apache), MySQL, PHP5, Xcache, special WordPress guide etccccc
Part 13: Add sites & blogs to the web server using virtual host files & symbolic links. Sounds complex? No worries, it ain’t!
Set up a website file structure that, as well as being secure and organised, allows for adding new sites (or users with their own sites) when you want to.
Nginx can be installed in various ways. Most guides explain the easy way, which is also the wrong way! Here’s why.
Web apps are invariably PHP-powered, and have databases, so we need to support that by installing PHP5 for Nginx, via php5-fpm, and setting up MySQL.