Cookies are tiny text files that download to your local device, whether a PC, smart phone or whatever, just as do other web files, when you browse web pages. They're rarely bad (but can be and that's covered in vpsBible's Web section) and are generally very useful.
So let's examine this site's cookies. Without exception, they will help you:
- To make vpsBible work smoothly as you browse from page to page, between the sub-sites, and when you use website functionality such as the forums
- To save you from having to log in every time you come back
- To remember your settings during and between visits to the site
- By offering free services and content, thanks to advertising
- To improve vpsBible's speed and security
- By assisting you to share pages on social networks like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter
- To allow users to pay via Paypal to become a premium content subscriber
- To allow users to donate via Paypal, should they want to
- To personalise the site depending on your Profile preferences
- To continuously improve the site for you
- To make vpsBible's marketing more efficient, for instance if you sign up for the newsletter or RSS feed
- Collect any personally identifiable information without your agreement (such as when you subscribe and include your name)
- Collect any sensitive information, ever
- Pass personally identifiable data to third parties, excepting to Paypal when people subscribe for premium content
- Pay sales commissions (although that may change as and when vpsBible sets up an affiliate scheme, again disclaiming such for those site users who want to become affiliates)
Introducing the Cookies
vpsBible, again like many sites, uses a lot of cookies, each for different things, some being homemade, others being third party. And here they are.
vpsBible's Function Cookies
vpsBible's own cookies make the main site work properly:
- Determining if you're logged in or not
- Remembering your search settings
- Making the free registration system work so you can use the forum …
- … And helping you to use the forum, adding posts, rating posts and so on
- Allowing you to rate tutorials
- Interacting with services like Paypal so you can pay for a premium content subscription
- … Or just in case you want to make a donation, which is never a bad thing 😉
- And, more generally, tailoring content to your needs
Social Website Cookies
For you to be able, easily, to ‘Like' or share vpsBible content – on, say, Facebook or Twitter – there are some social sharing buttons. You can also ‘friend' Olly on, for instance, Google+ or Twitter.
Third party cookies are set by each of the social networks:
- There are others. Hey, the site's just launched but these will be added soon.
Anonymous Visitor Statistics Cookies
- Woopra's analytics
- Google Analytics, which also gives details when, for example, there are broken links
Cookies are widely used in online advertising. Neither vpsBible nor its advertising partners can gain any personally identifiable information from any cookies here.
You can learn more about online advertising at YourOnlineChoices.
vpsBible is allied with one ad network, which in turn tracks the ‘bible's affiliation with its own web host (which doesn't add any cookies):
Turning Cookies Off
… Just bear in mind that by limiting cookies you will also limit functionality, not just here but all over the web. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Personally, I have my locally stored cookies clear every time the browser closes, using LastPass to log me back into sites automatically, which gives me the best of both worlds, but that solution won't work for everyone or, else, you may want to set up cookie preferences on a site to site basis for some of your regular haunts.
So there you go. vpsBible's cookies are disclaimed and hopefully you learned something along the way. vpsBible owes a shout-out to Attacat who created the superb Chromium browser extension that made auditing vpsBible's cookies really far too simple, so thanks lads, good job.